Country Is on Fire While They Talk About Dividing the House: Fazlur Rehman

ISLAMABAD: Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman has criticised the government and questioned discussions about creating new provinces amid what he described as a worsening political, security and economic situation in the country.
Speaking to the media alongside other opposition leaders, Fazlur Rehman said, “The country is on fire and they are talking about dividing the house,” adding that the government had no writ in two provinces.
He questioned how long the opposition could remain silent and said the narrative being presented by the government was incorrect. According to Fazlur Rehman, the deteriorating situation was also affecting the economy.
He said he could not understand the relevance of discussions about new provinces in the current circumstances and questioned the basis on which such proposals were being raised.
Fazlur Rehman said the opposition had decided to convey the facts to the nation and had agreed on a joint strategy in Parliament. He alleged that the government had no visible policy or major achievement and was merely offering assurances.
Meanwhile, PTI Chairman Barrister Gohar Khan said the government had failed to implement a court order and announced that a contempt of court petition would be filed against it.
Speaking to the media outside Parliament, Gohar said the Supreme Court had a major responsibility to ensure implementation of its decision. He described the day as difficult for the nation after two days of what he called relatively positive developments.
Gohar said the health issue of PTI founder Imran Khan had been raised in the National Assembly. He said PTI had always tried to keep the political system functioning and remain part of it, despite having serious reservations.
He said PTI leaders had approached the courts repeatedly on behalf of their leader and claimed that they had not been allowed to meet Imran Khan for the past 10 months. He questioned under which law meetings with the PTI founder were being restricted.
Gohar alleged that trials had been conducted overnight and long prison sentences handed down, adding that the party had approached high courts 25 times and the Supreme Court 17 times.
He said the Supreme Court had ordered Imran Khan’s transfer to Shifa Hospital and directed that his sister and personal physician be part of the medical board. According to Gohar, Imran Khan was to remain in the hospital until his treatment and medical tests were completed.
He said September 16 had been fixed as a date by the Supreme Court itself and criticised what happened the previous night, saying those responsible would be condemned.
Gohar said PTI had always sought to keep democracy on track but alleged that some elements were trying to push the party out of Parliament. He stressed that PTI was not the government’s “B team” and had entered Parliament with the votes of the people who supported Imran Khan.
He said the order had been issued by three Supreme Court judges and placed a major responsibility on the apex court to ensure its implementation. He urged the court to enforce the order and said no review of the decision should be entertained.
Gohar confirmed that PTI would file a contempt of court petition against the government over the previous night’s developments. He also claimed that around 90 percent of the people remained supportive of the public.





